Happy Seed is a budding vegan food company built by Atlanta locals Reid Trapani and Sophia Marchese. The brand specializes in recreating satiating comfort foods using entirely plant-based ingredients. Here, walnuts are the main ingredient in these fully raw, flavor-packed tacos!
- 3 cups raw walnuts
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes, not packed in oil
- 2 red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head of dinosaur kale, washed and trimmed (or romaine lettuce leaves)
- Juice of one lime
For the spice blend
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of water as needed to thin
- Pinch salt/pepper
Soak sundried tomatoes in a bowl with water for at least 30 minutes to rehydrate.
Pulse the walnuts, lime juice and tamari in a food processor until you get a crumbly mix. You DO NOT want a paste. Remove from food processor and set aside in a large bowl.
Once the tomatoes have been soaked, drain and add them to the bowl of the food processor with the spice blend, garlic, and red chili peppers. Pulse to combine, just like the walnut base.
Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until a paste is formed. Transfer to the bowl with the walnut base and mix thoroughly. Taste for seasoning.
Spoon the walnut “meat” into the dinosaur kale leaves with taco toppings of your choice.