What does wellness mean to you? That was the question Oprah asked the 12,000-plus members of her audience in the State Farm Arena on Jan. 25. The mindful mogul brought her tour, Oprah’s 2020 Vision: Your Life in Focus, to Atlanta and led attendees through a daylong workshop in self-discovery and goal setting. She also sat down with Dwayne Johnson for an intimate interview. Best Self Atlanta editor Alex McCray and Atlanta Best Media marketing and events manager Wyndi Kappes took part in the event while it was in town. Here are their top eight takeaways from Oprah for making 2020 the year of triumph and transformation.
1. Wellness means something different for everyone. For Oprah, wellness means life in balance but everything doesn’t necessarily receive equal attention. Only you can be in control of your wellness.
2. Stress is simply wanting a moment to be something it’s not. The best way to handle stress is to just accept the moment and be present.
3. The most important gift you can give anyone is to be fully there with them in the moment. The No. 1 lesson Oprah learned from “The Oprah Winfrey Show” was that people simply want to be heard and to know that they matter.
4. You don’t get in life what you want, you get in life what you intend. The energy behind your words and actions is powerful.
5. Nothing is happening to you that isn’t meant to show you something about yourself.
6. Everything you’ve been through has prepared you for the greater moment that is coming.
7. You have to forgive what you didn’t have.
8. Accept that the past could not have been any different. It is what it is and you have to move forward.
These words of wisdom are some of many provided by Oprah during the 7-hour gathering. The thought leader guided tour goers through a series of workbook prompts to set their intentions not only for the new year but to chart a path toward becoming the “truest, highest and purest” versions of themselves and to live that out. Her advice on creating lasting change? Commitment.