Beard Care Tips from Atlanta Experts
Haircare is important. And the hair on your face is just as important as the hair on your head. So to make sure you’re doing right by your bushy bristles; we’ve talked to some of Atlanta’s hair (and beard) experts at Bob Steele Salon and 18|8 Fine Men’s Salon – Brookhaven to bring you some tips, tools and products to keep your beard looking its best.
Every man knows the importance of having the right tool for the job. Caring for your beard is no different. In order to shape and groom your beard, there are a few tools that you need to have on hand.
- Clippers—Andis® and Wahl® are both professional brands and come with guards to help you with the consistency and length of your beard.
- Hair Cutting Comb—It’s important to have a comb when trying to line off your beard along the jawline.
- Small Hair Cutting Shears—These should only be used for trimming your beard, lining around your lip as well as your nose.
How to Care for Your Beard
Beard hair is a different texture than the hair on your head. It needs daily cleaning and conditioning. Depending on your activities during the day, it may need it more than once in a day. Every time you shampoo your beard, it should be conditioned to avoid it becoming dry.
- Redken Brews 3-in-1. A great shampoo, conditioner and body wash. This tackles all of a man’s cleaning and conditioning needs in one bottle.
- Reuzel Beard Foam. A fast and easy leave-in conditioner. It absorbs quickly, deodorizes, helps to soften your hair and reduces itchiness.
Taking Care of What Lies Beneath
Caring for the skin beneath your beard is essential. Using beard oils can be a great way to protect your skin. They will also add shine and protection to your beard. For a little more hold or styling capability, you can opt for a beard balm instead. Here are some recommended products to try:
- Redken Brews Beard Oil
- Baxter Beard Oil
- Reuzel Beard Balm
Got Sensitive Skin? Try Anthony’s Pre Shave + Conditioning Oil or Redken Brews Cleansing Bar.
Tips from Atlanta Experts
Make sure to always trace the upper lip line of your mustache, it really cleans up the overall look. To play it safe, always use your trimmer in a down motion, it takes off less hair than going upwards. Regular combing and brushing your beard will help train the hair to go where you want it to.
18|8 Fine Men’s Salon – Brookhaven 305 Brookhaven Ave., Ste. A1140, Atlanta, eighteeneight.com
After applying product to your beard, make sure you always comb it through, starting at the beard line closest to your eye and working down to the chin.
At the time you purchase the clippers, get a set of clipper guards by matching up the guard with your beard. This way you will be able to keep or adjust your beard to your desired length.
Bob Steele Salon Five metro Atlanta locations, bobsteele.com
Want to learn more about the latest trends in beard and hair care for men? Check out more information from Best Self here.