Under the guidance of Dr. Ken Anderson, founder of the award-winning Anderson Center for Hair and a four-time Over 40 & Fabulous! Advisory Board member, patients can now turn to his protégé, hair restoration surgeon Dr. Daniel J. Lee, for life-changing procedures. Using state-of-the-art techniques, Dr. Anderson has equipped Dr. Lee with the tools needed to helm the Center’s original Sandy Springs office.
Did you always know you wanted to be in this field? What inspired you to pursue this path?
I have been a general surgeon for about 25 years. Several years ago, I decided that I wanted to help people and put my skills to use in a different way. Hair restoration surgery allows me to get to know my patients and help them regain their self-confidence.
5 Hair Restoration Treatments That Actually Work
1. Hair restoration surgery. In this procedure, hair follicles are removed (extracted) from the back and sides of the scalp. The follicles are then implanted into the areas of the scalp in which hair is desired. These hairs will then begin to grow over the next year.
2. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections. By injecting a concentrated solution of platelets into the scalp, it has been shown to slow or stop further hair loss and, in some cases, thicken thinning hairs.
3. Low-level laser therapy (LLLT). It has been shown that the cells in the hair follicle absorb light of a specific wavelength. The light that is emitted by the laser source (in hair restoration, a cap is used) is absorbed by the mitochondria of the cells and helps develop stronger and thicker hairs.
4. Finasteride. Finasteride is a medication that is most often taken orally (we also provide it topically) to block the formation of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). One of the effects of DHT is that it causes miniaturization of hair in susceptible areas such as the front, top, and crown of your head.
5. Minoxidil. Minoxidil is a drug that causes vasodilation of blood vessels. It has been shown that by applying the drug to the scalp, the blood flow to the follicle is increased, delivering more oxygen and nutrients. This helps the hair follicle to produce thicker hairs in a new growth phase.