Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physicians and Resurgens Spine Center: The Perfect Combination
Disorders of the spine constitute one of the largest public health problems in America, costing billions of dollars annually. Statistics indicate that in our lifetime, each of us will experience an episode of back pain requiring medical intervention. Enter, the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physicians at Resurgens Spine Center.
What is a Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) Physician?
PM&R Physicians, also known as physiatrists, are medical doctors who have completed training in the specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. In addition, they must pass both a written and oral examination administered by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR). Physiatrists are subsequently skilled in the diagnosis and management of a variety of nonsurgical musculoskeletal/ orthopaedic and neurologic conditions that cause acute and chronic pain, as well as musculoskeletal and neurologic dysfunction.
What areas do PM&R Physicians specialize in?
There are numerous areas within the eld of PM&R in which to specialize. Among these are interventional spine care, electrodiagnostic medicine, sports medicine, spinal cord injury, and brain injury to name a few. Because back pain, spine disease, and spinal injury are responsible for such a large percentage of disability in the general population, many physiatrists have chosen to specialize in treating those particular entities.
Six ways we manage your care conservatively and maximize your outcome without surgery:
- Obtain a complete history and perform a physical examination to assist in directing your care and in determining the source of your pain (muscle, disc, bone, joint, etc.)
- Use different diagnostic studies (X-ray, MRI, CAT scan, bone density), and interpret and review these studies with you to assure your complete understanding of the results
- Implement the use of a variety of anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant, neuropathic, and, if needed, narcotic pain medications to help alleviate your symptoms
- Perform electrodiagnostic studies, electromyography (EMG)/nerve conduction velocity (NCV), to assist in diagnosing and determining prognosis for neurologic disease processes and nerve-related injuries of the spine and limbs
- Prescribe a focused and individualized physical therapy program utilizing therapeutic “hands-on” exercises and various modalities specifically effective for your problem
- Offer diagnostic and therapeutic interventional spinal injections and procedures. Included among these are epidural steroid injections, selective spinal nerve root blocks, facet and sacroiliac joint injections, and discograms to name a few. Our patients are injected at one of our state-of-the-art outpatient surgery centers, with the assistance of uoroscopy (X-ray) and contrast, to reinforce optimal placement of the medicine.
Resurgens Spine Center Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physicians:
At Resurgens Spine Center, we have a dynamic team of specialized board-certified physiatrists to provide comprehensive care for the diagnosis and treatment of spinal disorders and spine-related pain. We utilize the most up-to-date research to identify clinical protocols and utilize the latest technology to maintain the highest standards of care.
From Day One until discharge, at any of our 23 office locations in the greater Atlanta area, our physiatrists will assure personal and professional care. Our team approach to treating patients of all ages will secure continuity of your care within the Resurgens family.